1 ¾ cups cornmeal
½ cup flour
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon garlic salt
½ cup chopped onion
1 cup buttermilk
vegetable oil for frying
1. Preheat your oil to 400°.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients with a simple Tablespoon from your silverware drawer.
3. Add in the onions.
4. Stir in the buttermilk and egg; stirring just until mixture is moist.
4. Drop batter by teaspoonfuls into the hot oil.
5. Fry only about 6 at a time.
6. To prevent hot oil splashes….raise the basket up and load the basket with your balls of dough, then lower the basket into the hot oil.
7. Turn the hush puppies and cook until they are a golden brown.
8. About 1 ½ minutes per side, or 3 minutes total cooking time.
9. Remove from hot oil and drain on paper towels.